Monday, July 20, 2015

Loom Knit Doll Hat Project -- Snow Bunny

I've got a goal to have knitted at least fifty doll hats within the next fifty days to sell at a huge neighborhood yard sale in the fall.  To my surprise, I found there were very few doll hat patterns available for free on the internet.  This is a pity since a doll hat is a very good project for a beginning loomer and it isn't always obvious how a full-sized hat pattern should be changed to be appropriate for a doll.  Therefore, I've decided to share my notes on creating and converting hat patterns to fit 18" dolls (such as the American Girl, Journey Girl, Our Generation, or My Life dolls).

The "Broken Rib" stitch deserves a prettier name! It is simple to execute but has a lot of pizazz.  It needs a name that sounds a little less dire... "Jolly Rib" perhaps?  As you see, my bargain basement Bernat Boa yarn is making another appearance as the brim of this toboggan.

Pattern Information
The Snow Bunny - Broken Rib Stitch Hat


Knitting Loom:  Knifty Knitter 24 peg "Preemie" loom

Yarn:  
     Color A:  Bernat Boa "Grey" #5 size yarn
     Color B:  Red Heart "White" #4 size yarn

Skill Level: Beginner

Abbreviations:
     k = knit
     p = purl
     ew = e-wrap

Instructions:

With Yarn Color A, cast on 24 pegs.



BRIM Row 1:  knit to the end

Rows 2-20:  Repeat Row 1 

(Usually, I give instructions for you to create a doubled brim.  However, the Boa style yarn folds up nicely on its own.)

Switch to Yarn Color B

Rows 21 and 22: *p2, k2*  Repeat to end
Rows 23 and 24: knit to the end

Rows 25 - 48:  Repeat Rows 21 and 22

Bind off using gathered removal method.

TIP:  To make keeping track of where you are in the pattern easier, I suggest you employ some method of marking your loom.  In the past, I have used colored "Rainbow Loom" sized rubber bands, but found that I frequently get the bands caught up into my stitches.  I recommend you use duct tape to mark off every fourth stitch as I have done here.

No comments:

Post a Comment