Monday, August 31, 2015

Loom Knit Doll Hat Project -- The Last Rose of Summer

I've got a goal to have knitted at least fifty doll hats within the next fifty days to sell at a huge neighborhood yard sale in the fall.  To my surprise, I found there were very few doll hat patterns available for free on the internet.  This is a pity since a doll hat is a very good project for a beginning loomer and it isn't always obvious how a full-sized hat pattern should be changed to be appropriate for a doll.  Therefore, I've decided to share my notes on creating and converting hat patterns to fit 18" dolls (such as the American Girl, Journey Girl, Our Generation, or My Life dolls).

The Last Rose of Summer -- An Eyelet Stitch Hat
Well, dear Reader, we made it!  Fifty doll hats in fifty days!  I've really enjoyed trying out all these new stitches and have a table full of adorable miniature toboggans.  Now all I need are some buyers...
 
I couldn't end this project without including at least one eyelet stitch.  As has been my practice, this is a very easy eyelet that shouldn't give you much trouble.  Be sure to knit the row before you begin your YO's very loosely so you'll have enough give to be able to easily move your stitch to the next peg.

[Special thanks to my lovely dolly model, Cynthia (who seems to have claimed this hat as her own).  Couldn't ask for a more beautiful and patient photographic subject... except for the day she kept sliding off the table and kicking certain hats to the floor... but that day was definitely the exception, not the rule.]

Good luck and good looming!

Pattern Information

Knitting Loom:  Knifty Knitter 24 peg "Preemie" loom and and loom with more than 4 pegs for the second part of the brim.

Yarn:  
     Color A:  Red Heart "White" #4 size yarn
     Color B:  Red Heart "Burgandy" #4 size yarn
     Color C:  Red Heart "Sage" #4 size yarn

Skill Level: Intermediate

Abbreviations:
     k = knit
     p = purl
     YO k2 tog = Take loop off peg. Move to next peg. Knit both of these stitches.

Instructions:

With Yarn Color A, cast on 24 pegs.

BRIM  (Part One)
Row 1:  knit to the end Row 2:  purl to the end

Row 3-6:  Repeat Rows 1 and 2


BODY
Row 7 and 8: knit to the end
Row 9: *k2, YO k2tog, k1* Repeat to the end
Row 10: knit to the end

Row 11 and 12: knit to the end
Row 13: *YO k2tog, k3* Repeat to the end
Row 14: knit to the end

Rows 15-40:  Repeat Rows 7 - 14

Bind off using gathered removal method

BRIM (Part Two)

On any loom with more than 4 pegs, cast on four pegs. (I got this stitch from this blog Lace Edging)

Row 1:  k3; then knit seven times on peg 4
Row 2: (working back to the left) p3
Row 3: k3 (you do nothing to peg 4)
Row 4: p3 (do nothing to peg 4)
Row 5: k3 (you do nothing to peg 4)
Row 6: p3 (do nothing to peg 4)

Rows 7 - 42:  Repeat rows 1 - 6



Knit Row 1 to Row 42.
Sew Brim Part II to Brim Part I

To make the Rose and Leaves:  Follow the directions given in this video

Scarlet Royal's Rose and Leaf Tutorial

Actually, I did change a few things from the above directions.  The rose I made exactly following her instructions was too big, so I made a second one using just one strand of #4 size yarn instead of two strands.  Also, I flat knitted instead of e-wrapping.  This makes for a smaller flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment